Certificate on Civil Liability for Oil Pollution Damage (CLC)

  • Published: 20/06/2017

  1. Certificate for all ships carrying more than 2,000 tons of persistent oil as cargo in bulk.
  2. Only insurance offered by a P&I Club member of the International Group of  P&I Clubs and within EU/EEA, is accepted.
  3. The Norwegian Maritime Authority (NMA) issues CLC for Norwegian and foreign ships.
  4. Only ships from flag states on Paris MoU’s “White list” are accepted.
  5. The most common reaction to missing certificates and insurance is detention.

Information on CLC certificate

The Civil Liability Convention ensure that adequate compensation is available due to oil pollution damage resulting from maritime casualties involving oil-carrying ships. The requirement applies to all Norwegian ships with more than 2.000 tons of oil as bulk cargo as well as to all foreign ships with more than 2.000 tons of oil as bulk cargo entering Norwegian ports or other loading or discharging locations in Norway and on the Norwegian continental shelf.
The requirement also applies to ships operating permanently in Norwegian territorial waters.

The Norwegian Maritime Authority (NMA) issues CLCs for Norwegian and foreign ships. Note: The Norwegian Maritime Authority gives priority to Norwegian ships, but applications from foreign ships will also be considered. Only foreign ships from flag states on Paris MoU’s “White list” are accepted and the flag state must not have ratified the International Convention on Civil Liability for Bunker Oil Pollution Damage, 2001. Foreign ships that can document that they are calling at a Norwegian port will be prioritized.

The application

Please send the application to post@sdir.no

The application must include the following information:

  1. A declaration from the insurance company (CLC Blue Card) confirming that the insurance of the ship cover insurance in case of pollution damage by spills of oil.
  2. Name of Ship, and IMO Ship Identification Number
  3. Name and address in full of the receiver of the certificate

Please use this form

The NMA will accept CLC Blue Card from an:

  • Insurance company member of a P&I Club, within the International Group of P&I Clubs, and the validity of the insurance can be verified on the P&I Club’s web page.
  • Insurance company within EU/EEA registered for transboundary enterprise.

Insurance companies outside these constraints will not be accepted. The NMA may, however, upon request, consider exceptions from this.

Back to top