New owner NIS

  • Published: 05/02/2014

You will here find the summarized documentation requirements for registration of new owner to a ship in the NIS. Full text below the table of contents.

1. Are there any mortgages registered against the vessel?

Mortgages very often contain the clause "sale and further mortgages forbidden". The mortgagee must either consent to the sale (and possible registration of new mortgages) or sign the mortgage for deletion. The amendment must be made on the original document.
If the mortgagee is a foreign body: A Notary Public must confirm the identity and authority of the person signing. The Notary's signature is then to be legalized or amended with an Apostille.

2. Bill of Sale

The vendor issues a Bill of Sale and signs it with binding signature. For companies: according to the certificate of company registration.

Confirmation of issuer's signature on Norwegian documents

Issuer's signature may be confirmed by:

  • two individuals who are of age and resident in Norway
  • lawyer/ assistant lawyer
  • licensed registered accountant or
  • Notary Public

Buyer and his/her immediate family may not act as witnesses.

Confirmation of issuer's signature on foreign documents

Title documents and power of attorneys issued abroad must be notarized and thereafter legalized/ amended with an Apostille. A Notary Public has to confirm:

  • the identity of the person signing
  • that the person is of age
  • that the person is authorized to sign for and on behalf of the company in question

The Notary's signature is then to be legalized by:

The original Bill of Sale must be sent to the Ship Registers with all signatures in original

Registration may take place on the basis of an electronic copy. The original is then to be forwarded to the Ship Registers within three weeks from entry into the journal.

3. Notification of change

Notification of change in the register, KR-0008. To be signed with binding signature by the new owner or by the new owner's process agent and sent to The original is not to be forwarded afterwards.

4. Owner's nationality

The Norwegian Maritime Code S.1 defines requirements as to owner's nationality. To ensure that the shipowner fulfils these requirements a "Declaration of Nationality", KR-0001 - KR-0007 (please choose the correct form) must be submitted. Kindly sign with binding signature (for companies, according to the certificate of registration) and send to The original is not to be forwarded afterwards.

5. If the shipowning company is registered abroad

Company documentation must be drawn up. See our company documentation requirements here.

6. Appointment of process agent/ Norwegian representative

If registered according to the act of 12 June 1987 No. 48 relating to a Norwegian International Ship Register (NIS) S.1 no.3: KR-0060 must be signed with binding signature by the owner and the appointed process agent. Send to The original is not to be forwarded afterwards.

7. Management agreement (foreign owners)

When the shipowner does not satisfy the nationality requirements set out in the act of 12 June 1987 No. 48 relating to a Norwegian International Ship Register (NIS) S. 1 no. 2 and 3 cf. of the Norwegian Maritime Code of 24 June 1994 S.1 no.1  the technical or commercial management must be carried out by a Norwegian shipping company with its head office in Norway or by one of its management offices abroad. 

The management agreement is to be entered into between the owner and the Norwegian registered head office.  The Norwegian registered head office will be recorded in the register.

Technical management includes manning, outfitting and maintenance of the ship while commercial management maintains among other things manning, outfitting and maintenance of the ship.
A certified copy may be forwarded to the Department of Ship Registration either as a PDF amendment to an email or by regular mail. BIMCO's standard agreement may be used. 

8. Guarantee for wages and homeward journey (MOU's only)

This requirement is applicable if there are employees on board that are not covered by Norwegian or EEA social security schemes The purpose is to protect the employees in case of employer's bankruptcy. All guarantors must be approved by the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Fisheries, Maritime Department.

Bank guarantees must be forwarded in original.

9. Is the vessel also changing name?

For approval of name, kindly fill in and forward an application for Certificate of Name, KR-0019. Send to The original is not to be forwarded afterwards.

10. Are there to be registered new mortgages against the vessel?

Provided that the original mortgage has been received by the Department of Ship Registration it may be registered simultaneously with the new owner.

11. Registration fees as of 1 January 2020

NOK 2 167, - per consent from a mortgagee
NOK 2 167, - for Bill of Sale
NOK 2 531, - for each new mortgage to be registered against the vessel
An invoice will be sent out after registration has taken place. To ensure correct invoicing we kindly ask the recipient to fill in the form payment information, KR-0070 and send the signed form to

In addition, there will be charged initial- and annual fees according to the ship's NET, annual fee to maintain the registration as well as fees for dispensation applications and certain certificates ref. the NMA's Tariff of Fees / Fees Regulations

12. IMO requirements 

ISM-liable company

The ISM Code regulates safe management of ships. Which ships this applies to is regulated in the NMA’s regulations of 5 September 2014 No. 1191 on a safety management system for Norwegian ships and mobile offshore units  § 1.

Please use form, KR-0014. The form is to be signed by both parties and forwarded to the Department of Ship Registration with all signatures in original.

Continuous Synopsis Record- CSR

All passenger and cargo ships of 500 GRT and more engaged in international trade must have a CSR file on board. A standard form has been drawn up the International Maritime Organization- IMO. This form consists of 16 items. Whenever a change occurs to one of the items the flag state is to be notified on  FORM 2, KR-IMO-02. Please note: Each CSR document shall be amended with a FORM 3, KR-IMO-03. It is not a requirement for these forms to be forwarded in original.
See IMO's revised list of certificates and documents required to be carried on board ships

13. Certificate of nationality/ provisional certificate of nationality

Is the ship situated abroad at the time of registration of new owner?

The Department of Ship Registration will instruct the nearest Norwegian consular station to issue a provisional certificate of nationality as soon as the ship has entered the journal of the NIS. Accordingly, an original will be on board the ship upon departure. Kindly provide us with necessary information to give these instructions on form  KR-0011. Send to The original is not to be forwarded afterwards.

Permanent certificate of Nationality

A permanent certificate will be issued by the Department of Ship Registration after registration has taken place.

14. Please note


All documents, notarial statements etc. must be issued in one of the Scandinavian languages, English or translated by a licensed translator.

Original title and mortgage documents

We kindly ask that these are not sent for deposit at the register more than maximum 3 week prior to planned registration. Sender is kindly asked to include a statement to this effect.
If registration does not take place within this time, the original documents will be returned to sender without registration.

All documents related to the registration process must be sent directly to the Department of Ship Registration

The Norwegian Maritime Authority, Department of Ship Registration
P.O.Box 73 Nygårdstangen

Please contact us and we will guide you through the registration process
Phone: (+ 47) 55 54 12 50.

15. Remember to apply for renewal of vessel certificates

Read more about the different certificates here. Send an e-mail stating the reason for the application, to

Safe manning:  In the email, please note if there will be a change in manning levels.

Bunker oil certificate(CLB): Enclose a copy of the new insurance certificate. The new CLB certificate will be issued once registration has taken place. 

Did you find what you where looking for?

NB! Do not enter personal information here.

We do not respond to inquiries.

The feedback given here is only used to improve the website.

Back to top